Advanced linking options

Not linking back and not putting a permalink is a major pain in all linkups and even when there are such rules, users continuously break them.

Since linkup should be beneficial to both authors and submitters, authors usually require a link back. A link on the submitter’s site to link back to the link up site/post. This is usually enforced manually. If someone has many links though, it is usually impossible to visit all the linked sites to see that they indeed have a link back and, if not, go back to the moderation page and delete the link.

The other common rule is that submitters should put the post address (the so called permalink) and not their blog address. Again, moderating this, is tedious and very time consuming.

This is where InLinkz comes to play with the new set of “advanced options” that do exactly that. Make sure your users can leave their link in your collection only if they follow your rules.

media_1303157415293.png

The “Advanced options” button is where both of the above rules can be set. The button is available for both thumbnails and simple text link ups.
These options are not selected at creation time. You have to create a collection first and then click on “Advanced options” to set them. They are disabled by default

media_1303157586156.png

When selected, the buttons turn orange and change their wording so it is clear what is selected.

media_1303158153057.png

If “Allow only permalinks” (1) is selected, then the user cannot enter a simple blog address (eg http://www.synthfrog.com/). It has to contain a path in the blog to the specific post (eg http://www.synthfrog.com/general/2010/mr-braska-at-mustudio/)

media_1303158110728.png

In any other case, the above message appears and they are transfered back to your page to re-enter their link, this time only, with their direct (and correct) blog post url. And you have just saved much time to do something else, more productive or plain fun than trying to moderate rule breaking bloggers.

media_1303159591211.png

The other option is slighly more complex and, if not set correctly, might not allow anything to be entered in your collection so please be careful.
When you click on “Require link back” (1), the “URL to search for” is automatically enabled too.

On field (2) you should enter the URL of your blog (without the http:// header in front) that InLinkz will search for in the site that is linked to you.

So, lets say you have a site with address inlinkz.blogspot.com and you have a link up in there where you want people to create a post on their blog, link back to you (have a link on their site to inlinkz.blogspot.com) and submit their blog on your link back. In the URL to search for, you should put inlinkz.blogspot.com.

So, imagine there is someone with the blog named bored-to-backlink.blogspot.com.
When he links up this blog to your collection, InLinkz will go to bored-to-backlink.com and search the whole site for a link leading to inlinkz.blogspot.com (it will only search for links so it will ignore only a textual reference. Textual references don’t count on your ranking. Links however do!)
If InLinkz does not find such a reference, it produces the following screen and returns the submitter back to your page.

media_1303160297513.png

So, bloggers that take advantage of your popularity to promote their own site without having a link back to your site so you can get some traffic too, are as of now, a thing of the past.

A word of caution

As with all tools, this can be used in a wrong way.

Putting incorrect addresses in the “URL to search” field, will not allow anyone to link to your collection. A way to avoid this is to copy-paste your address and make sure there is no http:// in front. Moreover you can just use your blog address (eg: inlinkz.blogspot.com) instead of a blog post URL (inlinkz.blogspot.com/funny-characters%20may+endUp.here). This way, you make sure that InLinkz will identify your blog correctly in the user’s blog and not provide a false negative. in this case, less is more.

This feature is available to extended users only, for both text and thumbnail collections.
Found this article useful? Share it now! Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Facebook
Email this to someone
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Advanced linking options

1. Wow! This is really great specially for those people who do not know how to follow those simple rules of memes.Thanks!!!

• admin says:

You won’t believe how many “forget” the rules. This was probably one of the most wanted features. 🙂

2. Jamielyn says:

What a great feature! Thanks for sharing. Will try it out next week! 🙂

3. Glowless says:

WOW! Love it! Thanks so much for this.

4. This is awesome!! Will use the direct link option for sure!

5. What a fab idea/tool. Thank you :0)

6. anne says:

Great! The permalinkproblem is one that truly steal time. So many get this wrong.
    Thank you for this wonderful addition!

7. Amanda says:

I don’t host any link parties, but I always link to the host blog for link parties that I enter. However, I actually use an inlinkz collection to organize all the links back to link parties I enter for a particular post. Does this recognize that?

Hi Amanda,

the script will search for a link in the main HTML of your blog. tags like the one InLinkz is in, are not searched and thus, if you keep the links in a collection, it will not recognize them.

A solution for this, would be to export the collection and keep it in your page. This way, you will have no tags that hide your links and the links will be real tags.

Just have in mind that InLinkz will search for a linkback, in the URL you feed it. So if you keep your collection somewhere else in your site, InLinkz, will not be able to retrieve the links and fail your upload request.

• Amanda says:

Oh my gosh 🙁 that stinks! This completely take sme backwards in time. Now I will have to update my post everyday again, where the inlinkz code allowed me to just upload to my collection. 🙁 🙁 🙁

• admin says:

It all depends on the rules of the hosts. It is an option anyway.

But if they have in their rules that they want a normal link back to their blog, links from scripts do not count as an in-link to their ranking. Hosts will gain a lot of traffic from this due to people that were linking their own posts without linking back.

I think we MIGHT solve the issue in an elegant way. If you give me a week at most, I may come up with a solution that will do justice to both parties and leave out the non-linkers.

Ok, just for you 🙂

The link is valid if there is a normal HTML link in the page OR an InLinkz collection that contains it 😉

Happy people, happy frog!!!

• Amanda says:

OMG really?? You are soooo awesome, thank you!!

• Amanda says:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work. I just tried to enter Metamorphosis Monday and I had already entered her permalink in my inlinkz private form. So when I received the rejection message I removed her permalink and created a link to her homepage. I tried again and still received the error message.

• admin says:

Don’t worry, I’ll fix it right away since I know where and what you link. Just remember that the collection must be in the same page where the post is. That means that the URL you are submitting must contain the collection too.

• Amanda says:

I replied to you via email yesterday saying everything was working, then this morning I had a problem. Here’s the situation so you can see:

I have the link in a collection here http://www.craftsbyamanda.com/2011/04/cardboard-tube-dog-farm-series.html

The link that I have in the collection (titled I’m Lovin’ It) is a permalink, not a link to her homepage.

I tried to enter the link party here http://tidymom.net/2011/pedigree-ambassador/ but it tells me that I don’t have a link back.

Hi Amanda,

the collection must be the normal one, not the private hack..
      So while entering contests, change back to the cs.php code.

Anyway, the private option will be put in the cs code so there will be no need for such changes in a while.

8. Janet says:

What if I want participants to put my blog URL on their blog sidebar and to place their main blog URL instead of their permalink on my InLinkz on my site?

Will this advanced feature check to see if they have placed my blog URL on their sidebar?

• admin says:

Yes, it will search the whole page that is visible through the URL they submitted,which usually contains the post plus the sidebars etc.

In the case of the full blog address, it is still the same.

In general, if it is visible to you when you visit his/her submitted URL, it is accepted (which is what we want)

9. Girls Talk says:

Which is exactly why I love you guys. You always manage to implement new and useful features for us users!

i only wish that it could also be set to affect all future collections from the time it is applied. so meme hosts won’t have to set it every week they create a new collection. just my two cents 🙂

Thanks 🙂

it will be added to the settings the meme functions save. So if you save a collection with it applied as a meme, the next collection you create based on this meme, will have the settings applied.

(In the near future 🙂

• Girls Talk says:

that’s super! looking forward to it. you guys are the bestest!

10. Faith S. says:

This is awesome!! I actually noticed this as I was going into my account to change someone’s link to a permalink. 🙂

My question is…I require a link back to my site, but they can either link to my challenge blog or my store. Can I have two options for the link search?

• admin says:

Unfortunately not yet. But I suppose we could do something about it too. The only thing that bothers me with it is that it might get overly complex. Any suggestions on how to present it are most welcome.

11. Kristy says:

quick question 🙂

if I ask them to link back to the blog (http://someoddgirl.blogspot.com) and they link back to a specific post on the blog (like http://someoddgirl.blogspot.com/2011/04/cas-challenge.html) will it be rejected? These new features are so awesome!!!

No it will not.

InLinkz will search for AT LEAST what you put in the field (in this case someoddgirl.blogspot.com) which already is a part of the permalink.

(Just remember NOT to put the http:// in front as some sites put it and some do not)

Thanks 🙂

• Kristy says:

PERFECT! Thanks tons! This is just a fabulous new option!

12. Shar B says:

What a great idea! That will save SOOOO MUCH time! Thank you so much!

13. Amanda says:

subscribing to comments

14. Govind says:

Those are some super features …. Thanks …. 🙂

15. Ms Muffin says:

I LOVE these features! So great! It really bothered me that people do not read the rules and just link up their blog – not a post. But I also do not want to be a meany …

THIS is going to be SO helpful!
    Thanks so much!!!

16. Candy says:

I have been testing a new collection for a meme starting tomorrow and when intentionally entering a post with no link-back, I am receiving this error message:

Invalid securityToken.

Error 403

It doesn’t take the reader back to “try again.” My feeling is many readers will just give up and not link up. ???

Any ideas?

Thx,
    Candy

Hi Candy,

this is not the usual behaviour and I would really appreciate if you could send me the url you are submitting and the collection you are submitting to (or even only the URL) so /i can check it out (at info [at]inlinkz[dot]com.

There are so many exceptions that we only find them after the release of the feature .

Thank for letting me know!

17. Candy says:

Thanks, I’ve emailed you with the info.

Candy

18. LOVE this! My question is, if we are using inlinkz across 3 blogs for a link-up, is there any way to input 3 separate blog addresses for it to search for? Y’all are awesome!

• admin says:

Each collection can have its own search criterion. If these are three different collections you are talking about, then, yes, it works. It is not bound to the site by any means. You can even use it for a link up that must include a link to eg. greenpeace. It even works on blog hops but it is only one blog/site that it checks for.

• Ah, okay. I was hoping that it was able to search for 1 of 3 possible links.

Thanks for the reply!

19. Mary says:

I currently don’t use this option, because I know when I am linking to alot of parties I like to link first, then add the link back. However, I’d love to see an alternative tool where you can go through the collection at a later date and remove those who haven’t linked back or have deleted the link after a period of time. Removing duplicates would be great too! If there’s any way you can make this happen, I’d love it!
    Mary

• admin says:

Duplicates are not allowed by default. But a deferred-time checking tool would be a nice idea too! added to the todos!

20. I too would LOVE the option to go through a collection and check for link backs. Hope this “to do” item comes out soon–it would be fabulous!
    Mary

21. By “extended users” does this mean those that pay the $1.99/mo subscription fee? I co-host a weekly recipe hop and we would love to have this option.

Hi Cricket,

Exactly, extended users (that is, paying users) have access to some of the more advanced options for link ups.

22. I am not registered yet with inlinkz but I am planning on it. I wanted to know if there is anyway to require links to be in the post they are linking, not just on the page. Someone might link to my blog, but then my blog button or information is hidden somewhere on a side bar with 25 other blogs. I want them to link back in the post they submit.

• admin says:

Unfortunately the scan for the backlinks cannot be contained only to a single post yet. The feature has been requested though and it will be dealt with in the future. (But i need to be honest with you. it is a low priority feature)

23. Rochelle says:

When you say inlinkz will search the whole site for a backlink, you mean all of the site’s pages and not just the page that the visitor linked to right? Like if she submitted a link to her homepage but has my URL in a page other than her homepage, that’s acceptable right?

This feature is simply awesome! I’m thinking of subscribing as an extended user. 🙂 Thanks!

• admin says:

Actually it searches the whole text that is available if you go to the specified link. This contains the specific post and the sidebar/menus if the link leads directly to the post and it contains the first few posts if the link just leads to the first page.

This way you receive more backlinks since users are required to have a backlink to you in each post they link to your collection

• Rochelle says:

Thanks.

So what happens if they edit the post and delete the link to my site after being approved to post their link on my site? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

• admin says:

That usually means that you have some very bad mannered readers. Unfortunately, InLinkz cannot check about that after the link has been entered.

There have been thoughts on a “soft check” of collection backlinks from the dashboard but this feature has only been requested by a couple of users and as such, it is very low priority right now.

24. Here’s the situation ~ We have five blogs that cohost our linky party. We want the participants to link back to at least ONE of us. Can you make this happen? Is it possible?

• admin says:

Unfortunately not. InLinkz checks only for the presence of one URL address in the linked up post.

25. Hi, I’m having problems with this feature and overseas readers. I’m with blogger and my url ends in co.uk, so this is what I put into the url field. However readers in Australia (for example) see my blog address as ending in ‘.com.au’ – therefore when they try to backlink it’s not being recognised.

• admin says:

You can use only the part of the address without the country extension in the respective field. So if you have test.blogspot.com you can just enter test.blogspot and InLinkz will match the backlink.

Moreover you can remove the www. part as well as some people may link directly without it. It is still safe to match as a backlink as InLinkz searches only inside link tags (and not in the rest of the target blog’s text)

26. Jen says:

How does the link back feature work if multiple people are hosting the linkup? For example, someone may find the linkup on example1.com and someone else may see the exact same linkup on website5.com. If I set the link back feature to example1.com then anyone who found the linkup on website5.com wont be able to finalize their link to it, right? Thanks.

• Aris says:

Hi Jen,

only the host/owner can set the required URL for the backlink (and it is usually to her own blog).
      This URL is also mentioned in the page where the user goes to add her link so users know where to add the backlink to.

27. Cristina says:

What happens when people want to add an Intagram image? I’m testing it and it asks for a permalink, what should theey write in the permalink space? And how can they backlink?

• Erodite says:

Hello Cristina,

Our integration, connects only with the image. If you want the permalink too, you can grab it, as usual, from the instagram site. Instagram doesn’t allow backlinks.

Happy linking!